Board of Directors Meeting
1105 - 1220 Monday, September 12, 2016
Al Qusimi North, The Royal Academy of Engineering, London
Draft 14 September 2016
Members: Ann Dowling, President; Elias Fereres, President-elect; William C. Salmon, Secretary, Treasurer; Baldev Raj, Past President; Bruno Revellin-Falcoz, NATF; Karl A. Almas, NTVA; Robert L. Evans, CAE, Canada; Paul Verstraeten, BACAS; Hideaki Koizumi, EAJ; Martin Philip Bendsoe, ATV; Jaime Parada, AI.
Guests: Lucio Caceres, ANIU; Shane McHugh, RAEng; Samantha Frost, RAEng; Jaime Domínguez, RAIng; K V Raghavan, INAE; Rajan Minocha, INAE; David Tomlinson, RAEng.
- The President welcomed all and briefly outlined the program and objectives for the next two-day sessions.
She noted that Bill Salmon had informed her that this will be his last CAETS meeting serving as its Secretary, Treasurer.
The Agenda was approved.
2. The Summary Minutes of the Board Meeting of October 12, 2015 were approved as circulated.
3. The President noted that results of the Executive Committee Meeting of September 12, 2016 would be mentioned as appropriate to the Board discussion topics.
The President reported on the status of discussions with the IAP. Although continuing as an ex-officio member of the Board of one part of the IAP, CAETS would not become formally involved in the IAP. CAETS, AI (Mexico), responded to the IAP invite to serve and was appointed on a new IAP study committee, “Improving Global Policy-making Strategies to Obtain Sustaining Development Goals.”
4. The Board received the Audit Committee report.
The Board approved the 2017 CAETS Budget.
The Board recommended the continuation of the dues structure for 2018.
The President-elect briefly described the 2017 CAETS Annual Meeting, hosted by RAIng, scheduled for November 14-17 (Tues-Fri), in Madrid. In keeping with the general theme, “Engineering for a Better World” specific topics will include the contributions of engineering to the Bioeconomy, emphasizing challenges such as future food security, the food-land-energy nexus, and the blue bioeconomy. As time is short, it is important to contact other member academies here in London to identify speakers. It was noted that the CAETS meeting held in 2010 dealt with food security.
Lucio Cacares, ANIU representative briefly outlined the program proposed for September 9-13, 2018 in Montevideo. The focus will be on “Sustainable Development of Agroforestry Systems” under the general theme of “Engineering for a Better World.”
A brief proposal from IVA is included with the support documents on the CAETS web site concerning the 2019 CAETS Meeting to be held in Stockholm.
5. RAEng invited views on “Diversity” and prepared a discussion paper for use during this Council discussion topic.
It was suggested that discussion topics for the 2017 Council meeting consider “Diversity” and “Ethics and Engineering.”
6. A press release will be available covering the discussions of the Tuesday meeting (13 Sept.) and a statement covering the two-day program (13-14 Sept.) would be available for the Council’s consideration. There would also be a statement on “Diversity” reflecting the Council’s discussion.
7. The “CAETS Strategic Review” fed from the discussions in Delhi on the future of CAETS. A review group led by the President-elect conducted a survey. That led to three options. The consensus of the group was to remain on current course, particularly the networking dimension, improving what is done where we can, within the limit of funds and talent available.
8. Next Board Meeting: November 14, 2017, Madrid