August 29, 2012 2:00PM
CAETS Board of Directors Meeting
14:10 – 16:50 Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Room Montreux, 1st floor, Swissôtel, Zurich
Draft September 25, 2012
Attendance: Rene Dändliker, SATW, President; Janos Ginsztler, HAE, President-elect; William C. Salmon, Secretary, Treasurer; Mike Manton, ATSE, Member; Achiel Van Cauwenberghe, BACAS, Member; Jaime Dominguez Abascal, RAI, Member; Magnus Breidne, IVA, Member.
Guests: Hideaki Koizumi, EAJ; Björn Nilsson, IVA; Rolf Hügli, SATW; Hans Hänni-Häfelin, SATW
1. The President welcomed all. Hans Hänni-Häfelin, SATW reviewed the plans for the meetings during August 29 – Sept. 1. The proposed agenda was approved, with a discussion of CAETS membership to be added in agenda item 5, New Business.
2. The Summary Minutes of the Board Meeting of June 27, 2011 were approved.
3. The highlights of the Executive Committee meeting held earlier in the day were mentioned, noting that as topics arose during this meeting the discussions of the Executive Committee meeting would be mentioned.
4. The Board approved receipt of the Report of the Audit Committee for FY 2011.
The Board approved the following Budget for FY 2013:
Approved FY 2012 Approved FY 2013
Revenue expected expected
$ 78,000 78,000
Expenses Budget Budget
Communications $ 2,500 2,200
Equipment $ 3,000 2,000
Legal – Prof. Fees $ 100 100
Management Fee $ 40,000 40,000
Meetings $ 400 300
Postage, Delivery $ 3,500 4,500
Printing $ 5,000 3,500
Supplies $ 500 400
Travel $ 13,000 20,000
Sub-total 68,000 73,000
Strategy Implementation $ 10,000 5,000
Total $ 78,000 78,000
The Board approved the expense of Reserve Funds, estimated at $8,000, to update the current “30” brochure (probably increasing the number of pages from 16 to 20 plus covers) and print 3,000 copies of “CAETS, First 35 Years 1978-2013” to be available for the 2013 CAETS meeting, using the same design. It was suggested that outcomes and achievements should be emphasized, and pictures and one or two CAETS Statements, and the CAETS QR be included.
5. The Board recommended that the Council approve continuing the current dues structure for FY 2014. The Secretary noted that given the problems in the international economy and the reduction in government support affecting a few CAETS member academies, the survey of member academies paying annual dues at $1,000 was not undertaken this year. The Board agreed to continue its annual review of this matter.
6. The President-elect briefly described the planning to date for the 2013 Annual Meeting, which will be hosted by HAE and held in Budapest during Wednesday - Friday, June 26 - 28. The Council will be asked to endorse the proposed revised symposium theme “Innovative Approaches in Engineering Education;” the morning session focused on innovations in engineering education and the afternoon session on the future challenges brought by “digital natives and digital immigrants” and brain-science potential impact on education. The meetings will be held in the Hotel Gellert.
7. A brief review was made of the CAE (China) proposed 2014 Convocation on the theme “Engineering and the Future of Mankind,” scheduled for June 2 – 5, Monday – Thursday, in Beijing. The two-day Convocation, Tuesday and Wednesday, would include for the first day plenary presentations and the second day would include several parallel sessions. Focusing the sessions under the broad theme into a useful product, a CAETS statement, remains to be accomplished.
8. The board also discussed international matters and agreed: that Rene Dändliker should represent CAETS at upcoming WMO meeting; that Achiel Van Cauwenberghe continue to represent CAETS at the IAC annual meeting; and that the participation of Rik Leemans in the Council meeting provides an opportunity to enhance links between CAETS and ICSU.
9. The leaders of the Council meeting discussion topics for August 31 will be Mike Manton on the topic on Innovation, agenda item 8 before lunch, and Achiel van Cauwenberghe on Discussions with the Public, agenda item 12, after lunch. The Board recommends that the 2013 Council discussion topics be “Nuclear Power: Present National Plans and Attitudes” and “National Efforts to Promote STEM in K-12.”
10. A brief discussion of possible new CAETS members offered no new academies of engineering ready for serious consideration on CAETS membership. It was noted that individuals interested in founding such academies are welcome as guests at our CAETS meetings to learn of CAETS and make contacts with member academies represents.
11. Mention was made of the STS meeting in Kyoto and its session involving representatives of engineering academies. It was suggested that CAETS could perhaps be helpful in the preparation of the agenda for this session. The Board agreed to remain informed on this matter and follow up as appropriate.
12. The President adjourned the Board meeting at 16:50.
Next Board meeting: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, Budapest
Symposium, Thursday, June 27, 2013
Council Meeting Friday, June 28, 2013
E-mail exchange when needed